Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] Restrictions on resource names

Good question Allan!.  We need to figure out how best to have a TAXII client tell the TAXII server which version it is using and have the TAXII server be able to tell the client what version is is getting.

There has been some talk about doing this in the native HTTP headers, we will just need to make sure we find a good way of doing this.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let us know.

The use cases:

1) The client needs to tell the TAXII server which version of TAXII it is using.  This need to be present in every GET, POST, PUT, DELETE etc.

2) The client needs to be able to tell the TAXII server the type of content it is sending or that it wants and its version (if applicable).  For example, STIX 2.1

3) The server needs to be able to tell the client not only which version it is using, but also tell it about the content it is getting.

Bret

From: Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 8, 2016 2:13:21 PM
To: Terry MacDonald; Bret Jordan (CS)
Cc: cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org

I generally agree but one thing to think about is future proofing in case we decide that the limit has to change from 256 to 256+X.

How will a legacy (TAXII 2.0 implementation) work with TAXII servers of the future that have different limits?

i.e.

a TAXII server that can support 512 resource names but the client only supports 256 names?

Is that determined as part of the initial version negotiation and then resource names/api that are longer than 256 are not used by the older TAXII implementations?

Something to ponder.

allan