Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] HTTPS implementation language

TL;DR I second Jason's rant ...

and would like to exacerbate on his points and repeat my suggestion of a strategy to deal with split capabilities in servers and clients we target ;-)

A) TLS v1.2

On lock-in on TLS 1.2 I start to shiver - adding positive problem case: TLS 1.3 will be ready someday, and then ...?

B) Mandate vs. prescribe

During "my" very first CTI weekly TC call, we discussed normative statements in the proximity of a split along "cleared receivers" and sender behavior, where I offered the possibility of delegating problematic mandate vs. prescribe issues into an escalating conformance grade split section.

This is where IMO "stuff" belongs, in all "places" where there is a meaningful split in the set of targeted implementations.

I mentioned the OData targeting a range as servers from low level read only spread sheet up to database backed full update able matching conformance levels. (There we also allow for client implementations to adhere to matching conformance levels).

That strategy helps specification and implementation teams alike, in that it allows consistent, differentiated statements in the prose with focus per sub sets of the targeted objects to reach and claim conformance gradually aligned with capabilities, use cases and budget.

C) CRL and PKIX

I would suggest, at least a rewrite of:
"""A TAXII server MUST support CRLs and PKIX client certificates to claim TAXII compliance."""

split in two parts, in the describing prose:
1)
"""A TAXII server SHOULD support CRLs and PKIX client certificates. [label_or_production xyz]"""
and in the conformance section highlight
2)
"""A so and so high level conforming TAXII server MUST support CRLs and PKIX client certificates cf. [label_or_production xyz]"""

As usual the caveat applies, that I am not a native English speaker, so please adjust, as you seem fit.

All the best (and still off work until 3, January 2017),
Stefan.