Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] Open question: Server and User-Agent headers

On 08.02.2017 11:23:27, Dave Cridland wrote:

> I'd be wary of saying "SHOULD but MAY be disabled"; it makes no
> sense in RFC 2119 terms. SHOULD implies a MUST which can be broken
> in rare cases; MAY is truly optional. In both cases this is for
> interoperability; you want debugging information. The DISA STIGs are
> not the only cases where implementation information is recommended
> against, in any case - this seems to be very much a matter of taste.
>
> I would argue that TAXII ought to be silent on this matter - these
> are HTTP headers, and imposing any additional requirement on them
> seems a mis-step.

Taking your point, Dave, I concur that the TAXII specification should
be silent on this question. (This appears to be yet another one of
those cases where we're conflating normative requirements with
implementation details.)

Whereas this having this capability configurable in actual tools is
incredibly handy, let's ensure that we address this via a
recommendation in the implementer's guide.

--
Cheers,
Trey