Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [cti-taxii] Proposal to relax language in section 3.4 version URL query parameter

Given that use case (Sept or Oct 2017) I would suggest not making this change and figuring out a way to express arbitrary ranges. I think this is what Drew was suggesting in Github too, I +1ed his comment. It just seems like always searching for an exact year, month, or day vs. a range will be limiting.

From: "Bret Jordan (CS)" <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 11:21 AM
To: John Wunder <jwunder@mitre.org>, "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

A client, automated or human, is doing research on a specific threat actor or intrusion set.  It believes the first campaign started in Nov 2017 using Malware Foo and Attack Pattern Bar with Indicators X, Y, and Z.  What the client wants to know, as it queries many different systems, is did the threat actor do similar attacks using a similar modus operandi in Sept or Oct 2017.

Right now we have no way of doing this and this seems like a very simple way of providing that functionality.

Let me rephrase, the only functionality we currently provide is to forward synchronize an entire data feed from a certain point in time (added_after)..  But the added_after is NOT tied to the modified time / version in STIX at all.  Since a TAXII server may get 2017 content in 2019, a client would have to sync the entire dataset. There is no way of just asking for versions of content that were modified in say 2017 or 2017-10 for example.

Bret