Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] Re: [EXT] [cti-taxii] The "meaning" of media types in STIX 2.x

The way I see things, the ACCEPT is referring to the bundle version. The things in the bundle can be other versions. That is why we added the spec_version to the objects.

This is necessary because it is going to be extremely common for people to create new 2.1 objects and relationship them to 2.0 already-existing objects that they do not own and therefore can not up-version.

IE - the way Drew described it, I think works, and IMO we should just leave everything alone :)

-
Jason Keirstead
Lead Architect - IBM.Security
www.ibm.com/security

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Unknown

From:        Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>
To:        Drew Varner <drew.varner@ninefx.com>, "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        09/12/2018 09:35 PM
Sent by:        <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

Great question Drew.

A few points of clarification.  In STIX 2.1 there is currently no spec_version property on Bundle.  So there is no way to know if the Bundle wrapper is conforming to a certain version of the STIX specification.  I have recently asked that we add this.  If others agree, then we should try and get that in the next working draft.

Another part of the question is, should the Bundle wrapper really be defined in TAXII as well?  Meaning, should the Bundle we a TAXII thing.  This would keep the wrapper under the TAXII media type, which would simplify some things.

The last part, if I a client gives a STIX media type in the accept header, and the accept header is version=2.1, should the server be allowed to send back 2.0 or 2.2 content?  My guess is probably not.  But I am not sure we are super clear about that in the spec. We should look to add some clarifying text in the next TAXII working draft.

Bret