Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti-taxii] New Work - Pagination

The problems with date based pagination are well documented from the TAXII 1 days. In addition to the issue below, you have

* Time synchronization. Quite often the two systems won't have their clocks synced, nor any way to do so since one is owned by a third party.

* You also then have them running in different time zones and have their hardware clocks set improperly instead of just running them on UTC.

* Finally you have the problem where you are unsure what date range you should pass, so that you get an amount of records you can handle, since on 1 hour of data might contain 100 records, and the next hour might contain 1,000,000

Those reasons (and some others) are actually what led us to adding item-based pagination as an option.
-
Jason Keirstead
Lead Architect - IBM.Security
www.ibm.com/security

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Unknown

From:        Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>
To:        Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Cc:        "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        09/17/2018 01:50 PM
Sent by:        <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

I am not suggesting that we change the filtering by added_after at all.  I personally believe you are correct in thinking that one could paginate by added_after in most circumstances.  I also think an added_before would be a nice addition.

The only problem I have heard about pagination in regards to using a date added value is you could run into a problem if large amounts of records were added in a single transaction and that transaction used the same "date added" for every record in the transaction.

One way some systems might address this is to use microsecond precision for the date added value and then try and ensure each record gets its own timestamp or that no more than X records use the same microsecond timestamp.  This should give enough room, even under heavy load.  But I am sure as soon as I say this, people will have an example where that will even fall over.

Bret