cti-users message

Subject: RE: [cti-users] My opinion piece mentioning STIX-TAXII

Bret and Richard’s replies were very diplomatic and well stated.  I am going another direction because your assertion that sharing data about threats somehow gives the bad guys an advantage, is ludicrous and I think extremely short sighted.  Never mind all of the people you could have helped by sharing the information about a threat and how to mitigate it or defend against it, instead you are using the mass unaware public as pawns in your imaginary game of chess with the APT’s of the world.

Yes there will be an arms race, but publishing intelligence protects people from the script kiddies of the world.  Yes the big-time legitimate hackers will be watching, you must always assume they are, and I hate to break it to you, even if you don’t publish it, they are aware enough to see that there IP’s aren’t working etc. and will shift their tactics anyway.

The FBI has an issue with their Infragaurd program where big corporations don’t want to share the details of how their network was breached because then their competitors would know they’d been hacked.

We as security professionals need the intelligence in order to make decisions and act quickly to counter new threats.  I can understand the vendors and software company’s holding onto a vulnerabilities details until they have worked out a way to fix it, or have fixed it, but withholding attack details in hopes that you can catch the hackers, while they are allowed to wreak havoc and cost people their livelihoods sounds a lot like you are using them as guinea pigs.

We are under attack.  It isn’t just evil nerds anymore, now we have state sponsored attacks taking place.  Security through obscurity is not a viable tactic.  Sharing the information will allow others to develop defenses and influence software development by security conscious companies.  Withholding the information causes more people to get hacked and lose money, jobs, intellectual property and weakens the nation they live in as a whole.

I know that many of us here do hard work to discover threat intel and we should be paid for that hard work.  I am not saying that you should give it all away for free yet.  I think that corporations and the government should introduce bounty programs to reward researchers for their work.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I don’t get paid to research these attacks, just to defend against them, so I am biased in regards to the availability of intel.  I admit that.  I think that your stance is a necessary one as far as getting paid for researching….but it sounds sadly similar to the pharmaceutical corporations who charge a huge amount of money for life saving medicines that once having been researched and developed, cost next to nothing to produce.

I don’t know how to solve this problem, but I’d hate to see STIX and TAXII get locked behind a pay wall, and prevent mom and pop shops from being able to be secure just so we can turn a profit.

Anyway, there was my rant.  I think I realized halfway through writing this that it is a hard spot to be in.  We all want to be Batman, but none of us can afford to be a selfless hero.  Outside of government employees, I don’t know of anyone who gets paid to research things which will be free.  Donations and kickstarters aside.  I’d be interested in reading more on this topic if someone knows of a good article about it.

Sorry to rant Kevin.  You aren’t evil for wanting to be paid for your hard work.  But I think a better way forward needs to be found if we are trying to prevent people from being victimized.