cti-users message

Subject: RE: [cti-stix] Re: [cti-users] MTI Binding

I would agree.  JSON-LD could be an incredibly powerful way to represent intelligence data, but it represents a fundamental shift that will require a major retooling for most implementations to really take advantage of it.  The good news is that tools (such as Soltra products to be all about “me” for a second) could ease into that implementation by thinning the implementation down to pure JSON at first (I believe, someone correct me if I’m wrong here).  The real question is, will we as implementers get to the point where we really jump all in and represent data using the “LD” portion of the concept?

Again, looks promising (after all, if Google and Facebook are using it to represent complex data, why shouldn’t we be paying attention), but do we all know what we would be buying in to?

From: cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Jane Ginn
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2015 8:45 PM
To: Wunder, John A.
Cc: cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org; cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [cti-stix] Re: [cti-users] MTI Binding

Hi All:

While reading through this thread it occurred to me that the JSON-LD suggestion represents a significant shift in the level at which we are approaching the problem set. Cory has long been arguing for us to shift our focus to a semantic model that can serve as a language agnostic approach to solving the CTI sharing problem. Bret has been pushing for JSON as a tool to help us achieve more wide spread adoption. We currently have bindings in XML and Python... but no MTI for moving forward with STIX 2.0.

JSON-LD appears to address several of our issues at a higher level of abstraction.

I'm also intrigued by the potential, from the POV of STIX cosumers, at how PMML can be deployed seamlessly to use wire speed data on attacks for predictive modelling... or at least deploying the myriad of tools for predictive modelling. I expect this is an area of white space in the market that will be picked up by a vendor and developed as an enterprise solution. We just need to get the front end right for the integration.

Jane Ginn
Cyber Threat Intelligence Network

DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.