cti-users message

Subject: Towards a better understanding of JSON-LD (Was: MTI Binding)

Hi,

Terry asked the following question to get a better understanding of
JSON-LD:

> If we're free to construct our own STIX specific schema, if we can put
> in it what we want, and we can derive the schema programmatically from
> the actual underlying model that sounds very useful.
> Does this mean that the main difference between the JSON-LD and
> JSONSchema is just the way that JSON-LD explicitly references the
> applicable schema (increasing size slightly)? And JSONSchema has an
> implicit relationship. Correct?

The way I understand it (I would be grateful if one of the experts
could refute me here or back me up) is that there is an additional
difference in the way schemas works:

- JSONSchema (if it works anyhting like XSLD) allows you to
  strictly specify the form of your json: this field must be here,
  that field may be here, etc.

- JSON-LD schemas specify for a given 'thing', what kind of
  properties it may have, where the property definition is in
  the form of a key and a value -- the value may be something
  atomic or something that essentially is a reference to another
  'thing', again with properties. JSON-LD does not care whether
  in sending a piece of JSON, you fill out one, two, or all
  possible properties for a given "thing" -- you just add up whatever
  information you receive about a thing.

Theoretically, JSONSchema and JSON-LD could be used in conjunction,
i.e., one could use JSONSchema to constrain the way JSON must look
like, but I guess if we do that then there is little point
in using JSON-LD in the first place?

I am still wondering about the following: the advantage of JSON-DL, if
I understand it correctly, would be that we move towards techniques of
semantic processing/reasoning, because JSON-DL transforms into RDF. My
(limited and maybe faulty understanding) is that when modeling for
RDF, one strives to pack as much information about a thing as possible
into key-value pairs with atomic values, using relationships to other
things where the other thing truly has some semantic meaning.  In that
respect, there is a penalty on more complicated things such as
ordered lists, nested structures, etc.  JSON-DL allows me to describe
order, nested structures, etc., but when transformed into RDL, these
structures give rise to auxiliary nodes: for example, an ordered list
of n elements gives rise to n auxiliary nodes that represent that list
as a graph.

If it is true, then a more or less direct translation of STIX/CybOX
into JSON-LD certainly, though possible, probably would not serve the
purpose of enabling easy use of ontological reasoning using RDF or
similar, because the translation of the model would result in more
auxiliary nodes than "normal" nodes: STIX and CYBOX just love nested
structures.

So my question: would an adoption of JSON-LD in a way that actually
leverages the fact that JSON-LD translates into RDF, mean that we have
to drastically change the way in which STIX/CybOX are modeled, in many
instances removing nesting as it exists today in STIX/CybOX?

Kind regards,

Bernd