cti-users message

Subject: Re: [cti-users] [cti-stix] [cti-users] MTI Binding

Syntactically I think that is a fair statement. However, semantically, I believe the two models are very different. With JSONSchema (and XML Schema) you define an object and all of its members. This turns into deep hierarchies of properties on objects. With RDF/JSON-LD you define small objects and then sets of relationships/links that can be applied to the objects. It is a fundamentally different conceptual model.

Both can end up being serialized into things that look very similar, but the mental/data model driving the representation is very different.

- Jasen.

P.S. Any ontologists in the crowd please feel free to correct me.

From: <cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@threatloop.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 5:19 PM
To: Shawn Riley <shawn.p.riley@gmail.com>
Cc: "cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>

If we're free to construct our own STIX specific schema, if we can put in it what we want, and we can derive the schema programmatically from the actual underlying model that sounds very useful.

Does this mean that the main difference between the JSON-LD and JSONSchema is just the way that JSON-LD explicitly references the applicable schema (increasing size slightly)? And JSONSchema has an implicit relationship. Correct?

Cheers
Terry MacDonald