cti-users message

Subject: Re: [cti-users] Towards a better understanding of JSON-LD (Was: MTI Binding)

I just don't see why some here are moving away from the original plan of moving from XML to an abstract data model like RDF. We had face to face discussions on the topic and it's been discussed repeatedly since STIX launched. The whole reason some have been promoting STIX internationally and across the community was because this was the future direction. I certainly don't want to throw away the last 4 years of work on CTI in RDF and the significant advancement in analytic tradecraft it brings. I don’t see why this should be positioned as an either-or decision. The desires of those wanting simple JSON serializations should be fully possible within an RDF-based modeling approach while still enabling us to support moving forward the state of the practice for cyber threat analysts. Please help me understand why after more than 4 years of discussing this transition from XML to an RDF-based modeling approach that we now have people pushing to move the CTI effort in another direction?

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Jacobsen, Jasen W. <jasenj1@mitre.org> wrote:
Note that the JSON they provide is JSON-LD. http://docs.publishmydata.com/developers/105_resource_formats.html
And they provide a _javascript_ example of accessing the JSON-LD: http://docs.publishmydata.com/developers/121_example_javascript_filtered_resources.html

Good resource. Thanks for sharing.

- Jasen.

From: <cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Shawn Riley <shawn.p.riley@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 11:28 AM
To: "cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org>

I wanted to share a link (below) to a blog which talks about RDF serialization formats and while this isn't STIX specific it does use real world data from http://opendatacommunities.org/ which is the UK Department for Communities and Local Government's official Linked Open Data website. As I'm sure everyone is aware both the USA and UK governments have been champions of RDF for several years now and continue to push for open data to made available in RDF.

http://blog.swirrl.com/articles/rdf-serialisation-formats/   <--NOTE this is from 2012 before the JSON-LD development but it should help those looking for more RDF data then the US Government's 7000+ RDF open data sets.