cti-users message

Subject: Re: [cti-users] Towards a better understanding of JSON-LD (Was: MTI Binding)

By that first statement I didn’t mean xsi:type (though that’s a good one)…STIX right now has extensions that are XML: CIQ, CAPEC, OVAL, OpenIOC, and others. How will that work if we use a non-XML serialization?

On Oct 9, 2015, at 12:51 PM, Barnum, Sean D. <sbarnum@mitre.org> wrote:

>How will the JSON (or RDF) serialization work with the XML-based extensions we use now?

[sean]I would generalize this a bit to something like "How will the JSON (or RDF) serialization support the concept of extension points (the things implemented in the XSD using xsi:type) for areas where there is known variation or lack of current community consensus?"

The issue is not how would JSON support xsi:type. It is how it would support extensibility. The current spec (UML) has already abstracted this issue away from a question specifically about xsi:type. That is just the way it would typically be implemented in an XML serialization.

>How will JSON (and RDF) handle digital signatures?

[sean] I would add things like:
How will JSON (or RDF)  handle data markings?
How will JSON (or RDF)  handle controlled vocabularies?
How will JSON (or RDF)  handle Type constraining/conversion for properties?
How will JSON (or RDF)  handle field-level referencing and querying?

I make no assertions that these are not possible in JSON but I have yet to see anyone demonstrate how they would be done. I think we need to avoid assumptions and make sure that any given serialization choice can effectively support all the capabilities needed.

I also don’t think this is necessarily a complete list of the questions we need to answer. Let’s work to flesh out this list and answer these questions for any serialization formats we consider for MTI, not just for JSON.

sean