cti-users message

Subject: Re: [cti-users] Publication of another threat intelligence standard: Open Threat Partner eXchange (OpenTPX)

Interestingly, they posted that same cartoon on their blog! https://www.opentpx.org/blog/introducing-open-threat-partner-exchange.html

BTW, from that blog post:

Why something new?
"We looked at XML and realized that it introduces, conservatively, double the amount of data we needed to process and transfer. When you're dealing with terabytes of raw data, doubling the size to conform to a format doesn't make a lot of sense. If we can convey the same information at half the size, it's an easy decision. JSON accomplishes the same goal with less overhead. XML formats like STIX also didn't have support for data types we needed. We already have experience trying to extend formats that didn't meet our current needs or weren't flexible enough for future needs. We looked at binary solutions like protobufs and realized that most producers of data were not going to spend time converting their processes into a format that was complicated for humans to quickly evaluate. A lot of data feeds are plain text, often compressed and the work involved in moving from a lists of IPs or domains to a JSON format is minimal, so the work for the data producer was not demanding. And to be honest, we're commonly the ones doing the conversion, so a common language was our goal.”

John