cti-users message

Subject: RE: [cti-users] Indicator Type / Vocabulary Implementation Questions

Hi Sean,

> May I suggest that rather than talking about removing the property that
> we instead have a structured discussion around collaboratively
> improving the values and more directly characterizing how different
> players may wish to use that property and its values?

Like I wrote in my previous email: my call for getting rid of
the IndicatorType element several weeks ago had been part
of a calculated provocation to gauge the scope there might be
for simplifying the standard. I don't use such
provocations lightly, but at the time I felt it important
to get some clarification on where we stand regarding changes
towards STIX 2.0 and CybOX 3.0. And I think the discussion that
ensued was helpful...

So let me state now in all clarity: I am not calling for
the removal of IndicatorType and I am all in favor for improving the
values and understanding how it is used and should be used.

> I think the first step would be to enter an issue in the tracker for
> this so that we can get it on the table. I also agree with an earlier

John-Mark Gurney has done so (thanks!):

https://github.com/STIXProject/specifications/issues/35

> As an aside, it may be useful to know that one of the uses for the
> IndicatorType property that some community members expressed intent for
> in the past was for aiding in automated filtering and orchestration of
> Indicators upon ingest. For example, automated routing of 'IP
> Watchlist' or 'Domain Watchlist’ Indicators to network analysts or
> tools while routing 'File Hash Watchlist’ to host/endpoint analysts or
> tools or routing “Malware Artifacts” or “C2” to malware analysts for
> further investigation.
> I don’t necessarily think that saying “C2” in IndicatorType and
> associating the Indicator with “Command and Control” as a Kill Chain
> phase are the same thing. They are both mentioning C2 but for different
> reasons and in different contexts.
> Just thought I would point out how some have mentioned using the
> property.

Thanks, that has given me a better picture of why the vocabulary
looks the way it does!

Kind regards,

Bernd