cti-users message

Subject: RE: [cti-users] Publication of another threat intelligence standard: Open Threat Partner eXchange (OpenTPX)

+1.

Terry MacDonald

Senior STIX Subject Matter Expert

SOLTRA | An FS-ISAC and DTCC Company

+61 (407) 203 206 | terry@soltra.com

From: cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Patrick Maroney
Sent: Tuesday, 27 October 2015 1:34 AM
To: Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@gmail.com>; Jason Lewis <jlewis@lgscout.com>
Cc: Jordan, Bret <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>; Grobauer, Bernd <bernd.grobauer@siemens.com>; cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org

Relevance, Certainty, Validity, etc. along with other highly subjective measures like Business Impact (of mitigation/Blocking) are really not effective shared measures for IOCs with perhaps exceptions for widely seen common Malware/NuisanceWare/AdWare.

Point is that a majority of serious APT attacks against Sectors, Industries, Agencies, etc. are highly targeted. In some cases the attack packages and ephemeral TTPs are tailored uniquely to an individual organization.

I can authoritatively cite an example:  some of the most dangerous highly targeted APT threats are typically flagged by AV as "Low" priority/criticality/risk, which in turn leads to inadequate responses when detected.  We've found evidence of relatively early leading APT artifact AV detections in every APT Intrusion investigation since 2002.  When asked why these leading indicators were ignored, without fail the response would be something along the lines of: "Oh we don't have the resources to investigate thousands of AV detections, we only look at Med to High Risk", or "Oh we looked at it, it was flagged as low risk".  AV Vendors when challenged on these rating methodologies would also respond without fail with something like: "That RAT/Backdoor was only reported by 5 companies, it's low risk".  Tell that to the 5 companies who spent millions cleaning up entrenched adversaries that could have been stopped early in the intrusion had the threat not been mischaracterized and investigated.

In my view (1) we should be sharing facts about sightings/observations, (2) analysis along with methods to "show your work" for any hypothesis for subjective conclusions, and (3) include Non-Attributional Source Path Traceability for directing RFIs and Details on Sightings to the original Source(s).  One can then compile "Earliest Seen", "Latest Seen" metrics along with Sector/Target specific Threat Characterization details to determine an effective measure of risk.

Patrick Maroney