cti-users message

Subject: RE: [cti-users] How does CybOX data is generated?

Hi Alexander,

There are many different types of analysts J. What you are describing I would classify as more of an incident response role – specifically performing ‘hunting’ where they inspect logs looking for anomalies, and monitoring tools that are performing a ‘detection’ role (with the rules that you have been describing).

There are also nowadays threat analyst roles, which are designed to understand the threats that an organisation faces, and try to understand and research which threat actors are most likely trying to target the organisation, and to track them. Their purpose is to eliminate most of the unnecessary threat intelligence and distil it down to the small amount of threat intelligence that is most likely to affect the organisation. The incident response role then takes that reduced set of data and tries to find it within the org.

It’s a combination of the two functions that makes the overall process stronger. The Threat Analyst works out who we should be looking for, and the Incident Responder tries to find them.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald

Senior STIX Subject Matter Expert

SOLTRA | An FS-ISAC and DTCC Company