cti-users message

Subject: Research Paper on Information Sharing of Cyber Security Threats and Defense Strategies

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am writing a research paper on the technologies involved with Information Sharing in the Cyber Security industry as well as some of the challenges faced by White Hat Cyber Security folks in keeping up on threat intel.  Some of my key programs and organizations of interest are Infragard, Taxii, Stix, various vendor "threat intel" feeds, PasteBin (yes pastebin for threat intel mostly as a target for scrapers looking for loosed credentials or exploit code) and IBM Xforce to name a few.

My "ask" from you all is some direction for any services/organizations I may be overlooking as well as any insight you may have to making the sharing of cyber security related intel a more open and prevalent thing.  Part of my paper will be examining corporate reluctance to share threat intelligence especially when related to exploits and attacks against their own networks, and what impact this has on our ability to effectively adapt and defend against new threats.

My initial stance is that while the black hats openly share exploits and attack vectors with each other, white hats or specifically the corporations they work for do not share the information of how to defend against threats or share information about how the attackers managed to hack them.  I will speak at length about the laws proposed and also those which have been passed which ostensibly are meant to facilitate this sharing between the government and corporate America, so I also would appreciate your thoughts on these as well if you have the time/feel like sharing.

I am not relying on the kindness of strangers to get my paper written but your input as a community that is dedicated to these issues would be very valuable.

Jacob Hinkle, CISSP