cti-users message

Subject: Re: [cti-users] Cybox modelling for Company/ Organisation details

On 20.07.2016 14:53:30, Brian Lindauer wrote:

> I know you can’t commit to anything, especially when a committee is
> involved, but do you have a sense of whether this is days, weeks, or
> months away?

Hey, Brian -

What you probably don't see as a non-OASIS member on the cti-users
list is the activity within the various CTI subcommittees. As a
co-chair, I see that we could do a better job of regularly summarizing
the state of the union, as it were, back to the cti-users list. I'll
raise this on the next co-chairs call and we will find a way to
improve our communications to the cti-users list.

(Bear with me here, I feel like I'm about to attempt to articulate
parliamentary procedure.)

The STIX SC have finished their initial draft. An informal two week
comment period will begin soon (if it hasn't already). At the end of
that informal comment period, the plan is to freeze all changes to the
spec, move it over the official OASIS document template, and open a TC
ballot to accept it as an OASIS Committee Draft Specification. If my
understanding of the process is correct, assuming that TC ballot
passes, a two month formal review period will commence. Assuming that
everything goes smoothly, at the end of the formal review period, the
STIX 2.0 specification will be an official OASIS Committee Draft
Specification. At this stage, the spec still won't be an official
OASIS standard, but it will be official enough for people to start
implementing it with a high degree of confidence.

In terms of CybOX, we're following the same procedure I just outlined
vis-a-vis STIX, but trailing them by about a week or two.

To the best of my understanding, the same is true for the TAXII SC's
work on TAXII 2.0.

So, tl;dr, a few weeks to a month or two. (It feels really good to be
approaching an end to this long labor of love.) Hope this helps!

--
Cheers,
Trey