cti-users message

Subject: Re: [cti-users] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti-users] CTI Python libraries and Python 2.6

I wanted to add more reasons not to support 2.6 and 3.3. Pip dropped 2.6 support on March 18th. Now there are fewer ways to even install the python libraries under 2.6:
https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/4343
The same thing is on the way for 3.3. On March 21st, pip deprecated 3.3 support:
https://github.com/pypa/pip/commit/6b5414578371ed6816964cb2a82a4cf6fd5552ed

As stated in the comment at the top of that pull request, this is being used as justification in many other projects to drop 2.6 support. Example: requests:
https://github.com/requests/requests/issues/3928

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Back, Greg <gback@mitre.org> wrote:

As I’ve said several times now, this thread is *specifically* about Python 2.6, and for *exactly* the reason Jason mentions (thanks for the better explanation, with specific dates, Jason!).

I was simply trying to get a feel for the number of people who need 2.6 support. Compared to 2.7, it’s just a couple syntactic differences and backported dependencies. I can tell people to newer versions of Python until I’m blue in the face, but very often the people who I would be talking to aren’t the people who can make that change; otherwise they likely would have.

Greg

From: <cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 6:56 AM
To: Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
Cc: "cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org>

This is not totally accurate. The various Linux vendors normally take it upon themselves to maintain Python 2.6, as they simply can not move packages up a major version like that without also having a major release.

As an example, RedHat Linux 6.X ships with Python 2.6. This OS (specifically RedHat 6.7) is supported by RedHat until July 31, 2018. RedHat continually back-ports all security fixes and some feature/functions into Python 2.6 line to enable this. Ubuntu does the same thing, as does SUSE.

RedHat 7.0 has moved to Python 2.7.X as the default python.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security