cti-users message

Subject: Re: [EXT] [cti-users] trying to understand the "Sighting" object

Forrest,

Thank you for the question.  A Sighting object in STIX is just a relationship (edge in the graph). The reason we did not use the general purpose Relationship object is we wanted some operational efficiencies for transport.  So the STIX Sighting relationship object has the ability to do the following:

1) Say the indicator is good or more specially "was seen" but without any context.  Some organizations can not share other details other than "thumbs up" this indicator is good and I saw it.

2) Say the indicator was seen and here are the exact things I saw. Indicator -> Sighting -> Observed Data

3) Say the indicator was seen and this is where it was seen.  Indicator -> Sighting -> Identity / Location

This means you can also say what was seen and where it was seen in a single payload.  Thus multiple edges in a single JSON object.  This is why the Sighting relationship object is "special".

One of the big problems is in the way we talk about Sighting.  We talk about it as if it was a Domain Object.  This is because it can sort of act like that in the use case #1 above, effectively a one-armed edge (an edge that is only connected on one side).

I would expect a system that consumes a STIX Sighting relationship object to decompose it to the various edges that it contains and represent them individually in their graph.  We also need to remember that STIX is a transport serialization for sharing CTI.

Does this help?  What other questions do you have ?

Thanks

Bret