cti-users message

Subject: ID Contributing Properties

Iâm attempting to derive ârealâ deterministic ids for the examples in the spec.  Right now the SCO are expressed as âstand-insâ that look like âtype--00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000â.

Iâm writing a script that will generate the ids â but I have encountered some text in the spec which seems ambiguous.  They concern SCOs where a hash is one of the id contributing properties:

Here are the three uses:

For Artifact:

hashes, payload_bin

Where

1.     if hashes exists only include 1 hash from this common ordered list (based on the following order of preference) [ md5, sha1, sha256, sha512 ]

2.       if no hashes are defined and payload_bin exists include only the payload_bin

For File:

hashes, name, extensions

Where

1.     if hashes exists include 1 hash from this ordered list [ md5, sha1, sha256, sha512 ] only

2.     If no hashes

a.     Include defined extensions

b.     Include defined name

For X509 Certificates:

hashes, serial_number

Where

1.     if hashes exists include 1 hash from this ordered list [ md5, sha1, sha256, sha512 ] only

2.     Include serial_number

The way I read this, Artifact and File only include other properties if there are no hashes available, but X509 Certificates always includes serial_number.

If that is the case, then I would probably want to clean up the text â but Iâm not sure that this is what was intended.

Can someone more explicitly describe the use of the contributing properties for these three types?

                Rich

--

Rich Piazza

The MITRE Corporation