cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] RFC - Pre-Planning for CTI and Sub-Committee Activities

Hi Bret -

Good questions. I'm putting my answers in line.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Jordan, Bret <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com> wrote:
Chet, et all,

What is the process for making working groups inside of the subcommittees?  Is this left up to the members of the subcommittees?  Or is there an official OASIS process for it…?

No official process.  Once the subcommittee is set up, they can choose how to organize from there. By the way, each Subcommittee will have its own web page, email list, etc. etc. so each will be able to operate without inundating the main TC with emails and notifications. Generally, the procedure is that each SC chair reports to the main TC at the full TC regular meetings and, when the SC has content ready, they bring it back to the full TC for internal review and comment.

As I see it this is what we need to do:

1) 7 days prior to our first meeting get a list of nominations for the CTI Chair / Co-Chairs

Yes. I will be sending an official call for nominations about 9 days before the meeting (give or take). Part of my regular process. There is also a call for nominations from the floor before the vote at the first meeting.

2) Conduct first meeting
a) Elect a chair.
i) Is this a verbal vote or an electronic ballot???

It is a voice vote. Electronic ballots must remain open for 7 days and the TC cannot begin work until the Chairs are elected. I don't recall that there has ever been a need for a roll call vote. Usually the convener simply asks if there are objections to unanimous approval. If none are heard the Chairs are declared. Obviously if you have 3 or more candidates though there will be a need for a roll call vote.

b) Propose the 3 sub-committees (STIX, TAXII, CyBOX)
i) With their name, description, and work products
c) Get nominations for a Chair / Co-Chairs for each sub-committee
d) Elect Chairs / Co-Chairs for each sub-cimmittee

Yep, that's the step.

3) Per the charter, do Phase 1
4) Per the charter, do Phase 2

As a general governance item, I would like to see the following implemented in our first meeting.

a) Each member organization may hold up to one primary leadership (Chair / Co-Chair) position at a time.

Well, under OASIS rules I couldn't allow this. According to our rules, people are members of TCs, not companies. And any member can nominate themselves for chair. So I cannot let the TC adopt a standing rule limiting people from standing for election. You all have the power of the ballot to accomplish this goal democratically of course, but that's the way it would have to work.

b) Each individual may hold up to one leadership position at a time

Same as above. It is ok if the members decide informally amongst themselves to do things this way but it cannot be written as policy.

c) Leadership positions are voted upon every 12 months by open ballot

The OASIS rules say nothing about this & I don't see an issue with it. If the TC would like to adopt a standing rule that leadership positions are voted annually, I'm ok with that providing that it doesn't say that people can stand for re-election. So long as the current chairs are free to nominate themselves to serve again, this is ok.

d) The structure I would like to see initially, out of the gate, is something like the following.  The reason for this is to make sure we have people dedicated and focused to the tasks at hand.

CTI TC - Chair + Co-Chair
— STIX Subcommittee - Chair + Co-Chair
—— STIX 1.3 SubWG - Chair (Phase 1 work)
—— STIX 2.0 SubWG - Chair
—— Alternative Bindings SubWG - Chair
—— Database Solutions SubWG - Chair
—— Outreach and Integrations - Chair

— TAXII Subcommittee - Chair + Co-Chair
—— TAXII 1.2 SubWG - Chair (Phase 1 work)
—— TAXII 1.3 SubWG - Chair
—— TAXII 2.0 SubWG - Chair
—— Alternative Bindings  - Chair

— CyBOX Subcommittee - Chair + Co-Chair

That can certainly work. I suggest though that each SC get set up and meet first and decide on the subdivisions once they know who they've got. If you have the people power to staff so many functions, that's great, but you might find that the granularity of assignment would stretch the group thin.

Best,

/chet

Thanks,

Bret

Bret Jordan CISSP
Blue Coat Systems
PGP Fingerprint: 62A6 5999 0F7D 0D61 4C66 D59C 2DB5 111D 63BC A303