cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Database Subcommittee / conceptual/logical model subcommittee

I would tend to agree with Eric here on the risks of trying to specify
actual detailed implementations (e.g., a SQL schema that could be directly
instantiated). As Eric points out, it could easily be assumed to be ³the²
way you are supposed to do it rather than ³a possible² way to do it. It is
also likely to be tied to specific environmental/configuration assumptions
that may not hold true across all SQL environments. As such it would
likely be somewhat brittle and difficult to maintain.

My thinking, and what I plan to propose as part of the CTI STIX SC
roadmap, is an approach where the SCs could take on work product efforts
(if desired) to specify binding specs for particular database approaches
(e.g. SQL, No-SQL document-centric, etc.) similar to the sorts of binding
specs that will be created for particular schematic implementations (XML,
JSON, etc.). These binding specs do not define the language but rather
provide details of how you should implement various characteristics of the
language (defined in the language specs) in the specific technology being
bound to. For example, an XML binding spec for STIX would need to specify
how to implement the Vocabularies data model (defined in the language
specs) using XML Schema. It would also need to specify how to implement
the Controlled_Structure for data markings in XML. I think similar sorts
of constructive guidance could be provided for best practices (hopefully
from real world lessons learned) for structuring the language in various
database technologies. I think this would be very useful as the sort of
headstart Bret is looking for (though certainly not turnkey) but would
also remain more flexible and easier to maintain across various specific
environments or for minor language spec changes.

What do you think?

sean