cti message

All, (with apologies in advance to people who receive multiple copies of this message)

One of the defining characteristics of the STIX/TAXII community is the robust exchange of ideas that occurs on our mailing lists.  Now that governance of STIX, TAXII and CybOX has transitioned to OASIS, I’d like to announce the next steps in that transition relating to mailing lists.  First, it is important to identify the different types of conversations that occur within the community on a regular basis.  These conversations fall into two main categories: 1) discussions around the evolution of the STIX, TAXII and CybOX specifications themselves and 2) questions/discussions around how to best use or develop solutions that implement STIX, TAXII and CybOX to meet a particular need.  Both types of conversations are extremely important and valuable and we all want both to continue unimpeded.  The difference between these types of discussions is the audience for each.  To date, both types of discussions have taken place on the “legacy” MITRE-operated discussion lists.  Going forward those conversations will take place on two different sets of OASIS-operated mailing lists.

Specification-Developer Lists

With the transition of STIX, TAXII and CybOX to OASIS, the evolution of those specifications are taking place within the Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI) Technical Committee (TC).   Organizations and individuals that wish to play a regular and active role in the shaping of these standards either have joined (160+ members to date!) or should consider joining OASIS and the CTI TC.  However, it is also important to us that organizations and individuals that, for whatever reason, are not in a position to join OASIS at this time have an ability to track the evolution of the specifications and all of the discussions that are taking place.  Everything that the CTI TC does is public and the discussions around the evolution of the specifications are no exception.  Therefore, all archived discussions on the public mailing lists for the CTI TC overall as well as for the individual subcommittees are available for access by anyone, anywhere at the following links:

Organizations and individuals who are not OASIS CTI TC members can provide comments to the CTI TC via the CTI TC Public Comment List:

Subscribe: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/form.php?wg_abbrev=cti

Archive: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cti-comment/

Please note that we plan on making automatic read-only “mirror” lists available for anyone to subscribe to that will make it extremely easy for non-OASIS CTI TC members to monitor the discussions within the TC and the various subcommittees as they occur.  As soon as those lists are stood up we will let everyone know the migration plan.

User and Solution-Developer List

Separate and distinct from discussions around the evolution of the standards are those that have to do with how to best use or develop solutions that incorporate STIX, TAXII and CybOX.  These “user” or “developer” discussions are something that everyone – OASIS CTI TC members and non-members alike have a keen interest in.  Therefore, we have worked with OASIS to create a list anyone can subscribe to and post to called cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org.   This list is not intended for the technical development of the specifications but rather to continue to foster effective adoption and use of STIX, TAXII and CybOX.  We have decided to start with a single user/developer list rather than creating one each for STIX, TAXII and CybOX since many of the questions and topics span multiple areas, and it will be a bit easier for non-members and members to initially manage just one list. If we find that there is simply too much traffic on a single cti-users list we can add additional Subcommittee specific lists at a later time.  Please note that the cti-users list will be operational by the end of the week.

Legacy MITRE Mailing List Transition

Our goal is to discontinue the use of the legacy MITRE-operated mailing lists as soon as the migration to the cti-users list is complete.  There are two types of legacy MITRE lists: -announce and –discussion. The –announce list was used by MITRE to push announcements to the community. The –discussion lists were used for the ongoing development, community support and adoption, and implementation guidance.  Addresses subscribed to any of the legacy mailing lists at the time of migration will be automatically subscribed to the cti-users@lists.oasis-open.org list.   This migration is scheduled to occur later this week.  A message will be sent to each of the legacy lists with instructions on how to opt-out of the migration to the cti-users list.  Please note that the archives for the MITRE-operated lists will continue to be available for the foreseeable future.

As always, please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns and thank you for your continued involvement in STIX, TAXII and CybOX.

Regards,

Rich

Richard J. Struse

Chief Advanced Technology Officer

National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center (NCCIC) and

Stakeholder Engagement and Cyber Infrastructure Resiliency (SECIR)

Cyber Security & Communications

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

e-mail:  Richard.Struse@dhs.gov
Phone:  202-527-2361