cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Thoughts on STIX and some of the other threads on this list

I agree, and obviously having only one reference implementation is the only reasonable approach. I was trying to present the alternative as the counterpoint to "If we abstract out the complexity what we have to ‘learn’ is a set of API calls. This is how modern software is built – Not on data formats but on API formats. / ". Obviously if we have only one reference implementation, the complexity and data format *IS* highly relevant, because it means other vendors will have to implement it.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Kirillov, Ivan A." ---2015/08/31 11:26:56 AM---What about having just python-stix/cybox serve as the"Kirillov, Ivan A." ---2015/08/31 11:26:56 AM---What about having just python-stix/cybox serve as the reference implementation? I guess I just don’t

From: "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>
To: "Bush, Jonathan" <jbush@dtcc.com>, Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA
Cc: "'Jordan, Bret'" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, Aharon Chernin <achernin@soltra.com>, Mark Clancy <mclancy@soltra.com>, "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 2015/08/31 11:26 AM

What about having just python-stix/cybox serve as the reference implementation? I guess I just don’t see why we must have an equivalent implementation for every mainstream language, especially if we make implementation easier by eliminating some of the existing ambiguities in complexities in the language.

On that note, while all of the talk around JSON is great (and I'm personally for it), it really needs to happen in tandem with reduction in complexity/ambiguity, as otherwise we’re just pushing around the same flawed data structures but in a different serialization. Accordingly, if can come to an agreement that this (JSON/other serializations + simplification) is one of the CTI’s priorities for the next release of STIX and CybOX, it would likely go a long way towards alleviating some of the broader community’s concerns around our efforts.

-Ivan

<trimmed>

[attachment "image001.gif" deleted by Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM]