cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Feature voting and tracking system

I think voting or prioritizing by some method is very important. Look at how many issues are currently tracked on the STIX GIthub (154). Some of these are much more important than others and affect many more stakeholders - yet, we have no idea at a high level to rank these by importance, because Github doesn't let anyone rank anything. Its also very hard to filter and search issues due to the way the tagging system works.

( As an aside, I actually don't understand how people use Github for production software offerings without these capabilities... we are talking about table-stakes stuff here for an issue tracker )

I would like to second the proposal to look at the OASIS JIRA. Personally I feel that the lack of proper ability to do voting and to do triage on the issue list, is of far more importance than any tie of the issue list to source code. I'm impartial as to what actual issue tracker is used, but voting and categorization is table stakes... and if JIRA is available for use, why not use it. What's more, JIRA can integrate with Github anyway... has OASIS investigated simply integrating their JIRA to Github? http://blogs.atlassian.com/2014/04/connecting-jira-6-2-github/ . This would make the whole "link to code" argument not really an issue

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Wunder, John A." ---2015/10/22 12:19:39 PM---So I have to admit that I still don’t really understan"Wunder, John A." ---2015/10/22 12:19:39 PM---So I have to admit that I still don’t really understand the whole voting thing. What are we using th

From: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>
To: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 2015/10/22 12:19 PM
Sent by: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

So I have to admit that I still don’t really understand the whole voting thing. What are we using the votes for, prioritization? Or will issues that get a lot of “downvotes” not get addressed?

I think I said this on the call yesterday, but my preferred approach would be for someone (the co-chairs) to lay out a rough roadmap of the issues that we need to address. They can take into account list preferences, dependencies between issues, etc. In particular, they could identify some fundamental issues to talk through first before hitting the specifics. Then they send that roadmap to the list and if anyone wants to add to it or disagrees with it we talk about it.

I worry that if we just rely on upvotes we’re going to tackle things randomly rather than strategically and we’ll end up spinning our wheels. For example, if you look at our previous conversations on relationships we ended up with short diversions to versioning, IDs, markings, and other topics that we probably should tackle separately, first, so that they don’t keep coming up in other discussions.

I do like the idea of threaded conversations. The mailing list is difficult if you miss even one day of a quick discussion. Though it seems like the mailing list + Github is working *OK* (not great, but OK) and I wouldn’t want to spend months figuring out how to switch to Stack Exchange when we could be actually working on STIX issues during that time.

To sum up: less talk about how to do things, more actually doing things.

John