cti message

Subject: RE: [cti] Taking a step back to gain some perspective

Trey,

I couldn't agree with you more – thank you for this.   The past few months have been a period of adjustment and change for this community and in the midst of all that it is sometimes easy for us to lose sight of the bigger picture.   Since mid-June - basically five short months ago - we have accomplished the following:

1.       Created a brand-new TC within OASIS that is now the largest in OASIS history

2.       Successfully transitioned STIX, TAXII and CybOX to the TC and instituted an entirely new governance model

3.       Executed on the work program identified as phase 1 in the TC charter – codifying the existing specifications as OASIS standards

4.       Begun the very hard work of figuring out what we want the next major releases of STIX, TAXII and CybOX to look like

These are not insignificant achievements.  I believe that most of the friction we have seen as of late is due to genuine passion to solve the parts of the problem that we can through cyber threat intelligence combined with a sense of urgency that the world isn’t standing still as we figure out where we need to go.  I for one would much rather have a TC where many passionate voices express their strongly-held beliefs than the alternative – no passion or energy at all.  However, it is critically important that these conversations be as cordial and professional as possible, otherwise we risk turning differences of opinion into just plain differences.  Your olive branch is therefore much appreciated and hopefully will serve as an inspiration for all of us in this community.

Thank you to everyone in this community for your time, energy and insights as we work to make STIX, TAXII and CybOX  the best we possibly can.  As Trey pointed out, the challenges we face in cybersecurity demand nothing less.

Regards,

Rich