cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Timestamp Serialization Question

It is simple and there isn't room for ambiguity - the window is defined as the precision field, on both sides of the provided timestamp. If I provide you 12:00:00 with 1 minute precision, then it means any time from 11:59:00 to 12:01:00.

This is how all time critical systems operate. For example, when you grab packets off of a 10G interface, the timestamps give you a value in nanoseconds, but if you read the documentation, the value is normally +/- some level of nanoseconds (10 to 100 or more, depending on hardware and other situations) - it is a window on either side of the value given. It's not the value given is the floor or the ceiling - the value is the center of the confidence interval and you have to go on either side. For STIX to buck this trend and say our timestamps are specifying the floor of the confidence interval would be very strange and counter-intuitive.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Eric Burger ---01/19/2016 10:48:43 PM---This is another violent agreement, “yes, and” situations. YEric Burger ---01/19/2016 10:48:43 PM---This is another violent agreement, “yes, and” situations. Yes, this is how the data gets generated i

From: Eric Burger <Eric.Burger@georgetown.edu>
To: cti@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 01/19/2016 10:48 PM
Sent by: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

This is another violent agreement, “yes, and” situations.

Yes, this is how the data gets generated in the wild.

The problem is that unless we put our foot down and chose whether the time is the midpoint of the bucket or the bottom of the bucket, the consumer HAS NO CLUE what the bucket is. It is really trivial if you wrote the producer and the consumer: they both will encode your world view. It is really hard for a multivendor solution to have the same interpretation of what the bucket is unless we specify it here.

I really do NOT want to add yet another timestamp parameter. Precision is bad enough. “Error bars” or “count from the bottom” or “count from the middle” is really ugly. I would put the onus on the client and specify one and only one way to express time stamps.