cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Missing MTI - what to do?

I think this would be most usefully discussed in the context of normative text. I’ve added some text to the STIX pre-draft [1] to help get us going. Here is the text I have added, all comments (including: “I hate that please remove it!”) are welcome.

Extension Fields in STIX 2.0

The authors of this specification recognize that there will be cases where certain information exchanges can be improved by adding fields that are not specified in this document; these fields are called an Extension Field. An Extension Field is a field that is present in a STIX document and is not defined in this specification. This section provides guidance and requirements for extending STIX in an interoperable manner. A STIX document MAY contain any number of Extension Fields.

Extension Fields must follow these rules:

  • Extension Fields MUST NOT have the same name as any field in this specification.

  • Extension Fields SHOULD be uniquely named. This specification recommends that maintainers of Extension Fields use a consistent prefix (e.g., a namespace). This reduces the likelihood that multiple Extension Fields will have the same name.

  • Rules for processing Extension Fields SHOULD be well defined and accessible to any consumer that would be reasonably expected to parse them.

Any consumer that receives a STIX document with one or more Extension Fields that are not understood MAY:

  • refuse to process the document further;

  • silently ignore non-understood Extension Fields;

  • or continue processing the document

Producers of STIX documents that contain Extension Fields should be well aware of the variability of consumer behavior depending on whether or not the consumer understands the Extension Fields present in the STIX document.

The reporting of errors originating from the processing of Extension Fields depends heavily on the technology used to transport the STIX document and is therefore not covered in this specification.

Consumers that receives a STIX document that contains one or more Extension Fields that are understood must process the Extension Fields according to the rules for that Extension Field.

Thank you.
-Mark