cti message

Subject: RE: [cti] CTI TC Timestamps - Proposed: Adopt the ISO 8601 <start>/<end> construct.

Rich, et al,

I'm aware of these, and many other,  ISO 8601 constructs. My view is that rich _expression_ of temporal concepts is an integral component to the success of any lexicon seeking to serve as "the" standard for expressing all things in the Cyber Domain.

It's important to understand that RFC 3339 is just a profile/subset of ISO 8601.    My original draft proposal included support for:

<start>/<end>
<start>/<duration>
<duration>/<end>
<duration>

However, once you add duration you start down a slippery slope of "mission creep".  Many see RFC 3339 as an attempt to address the wide spread interoperability issues caused by the broad "flexibility"/"variability" of ISO 8601.

The basis for my persistent arguments are not theoretical.  They come from 14+ years of practical frontline experience in large scale CSIRT Investigations, Incident Response, and internal/external agency reporting.  There are many scenarios where what is indeed a discrete event needs to be expressed as a range of time. This assertion applies equally to constructs that contain specific "Start Time", "End Time" fields.  One or both of these often need to be expressed as a range.

Given the opportunity, I will continue to argue for much broader temporal expressiveness in our CTI lexicon (again referencing the seminal work by Allen:   http://web.cacs.louisiana.edu/~logan/521_f08/Doc/p832-allen.pdf and adding Allen, Ferguson et al http://web.mit.edu/larsb/Public/16.412/pset%204/allen94actions.pdf).

The addition of the "/" to our timestamp is an attempt to compromise by proposing a simple, syntacticly precise, and narrowly scoped extension to our current baseline Timestamp proposal  (which is "in and of itself" already a profile/subset of ISO 8601).

Whether or not you concur with these perspectives, I sincerely appreciate your time in considering the merits same.

Patrick Maroney
President
Integrated Networking Technologies, Inc.
Desk: (856)983-0001
Cell: (609)841-5104