cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Idea for Internationalization

The more I think about it, the more I agree that within the object might be easier for implementors. Yes, it’s extra ugliness for single-language content but tools will abstract that away and it may be simpler to manage than the separate objects. It’s kind of a toss up really, I don’t have a preference.

That said, I don’t think that approach works for capturing third-party translations (translations by someone other than the original producer). Each org doing a translation would need to issue a new version of the object with their translation added, which then bifurcates the TLOs. The separate “translation” object avoids that. How common is that scenario?

John

From: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Masuoka, Ryusuke" <masuoka.ryusuke@jp.fujitsu.com>
Date: Friday, February 5, 2016 at 2:37 AM
To: "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>
Cc: Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>, Terry MacDonald <terry@soltra.com>, "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>

Hi,

Thank you for compiling the key points.

I thought through it, but I think it is much simpler/easier to handle

if multiple texts are put together in a single object

rather than they are separate at object level.

I am looking at a report in English by iSIGHT Partners on Cyber Attack on Japan.

There are filenames of lure attachments in Japanese (original/real) and their

translations in English.  Another similar report in English has an email title along with

its translation in English next to it. That report also has a Windows pathname

in Chinese (not Japanese) found in a binary along with its translation in English.

(If you have access to iSIGHT Partners reports, they are 15-00007028 and 15-00009810.)

If those texts in Japanese (or in Chinese) and English are in separate objects,

it would be difficult to provide useful view for users even if they are related using Relations.

-----

By the way, this may not be related to language code thing, but just for your information.

there are more subtle cases. Unicode uses CJK Unified Ideographs

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJK_Unified_Ideographs). One can use

Chinese ideographs in Japanese sentence. Some attacker uses,

in a phishing email subject,  a Chinese character of the same meaning,

but of an ideograph different from the one used in Japan.

-----

Regards,

Ryu