cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Detailed sub-issues for the topic of refactoring "sources"

My comments are inline

Thanks,

Bret

Bret Jordan CISSP
Blue Coat Systems

More detailed sub-issues to be discussed/decided:
  • What should the structure of the Reference TLO look like?
    • Current proposal is three properties: (this addresses the external_ids issue as well)
      • “reference_URL” (optional) - specifies a URL to the external reference
      • “external_identifier” (optional) - specifies an identifier for the external reference content
      • “defining_context” (optional) - specifies the context within which the external_identifier is defined (system, registry, organization, etc.)
[sean]I support the current proposal described here

[jordan] I would like more information and context around these

  • Use “created_by_ref” on each TLO as shorthand for “Producer” source relationships?
[sean]I do not believe that this is necessary but I do not object to it being included optionally in addition to explicit relationships.

[jordan] I believe we should have this as an optional field on every TLO.

    • Should “created_by_ref” shorthand and “Producer” Has Source relationship both be explicitly supported?  What if there is conflicting information?
[sean]Yes. For the time being I support both approaches being explicitly supported.

[jordan] I do not really support the idea of doing a created_by_ref in a relationship.  My thinking right now is I would only have it be on the TLO

    • Should “created_by_ref” be optional or required?
[sean]Optional

[jordan] Optional.  We should allow people to create anonymous content or content that is not attributed to anyone.

  • Does leaving out both a created_by_ref and has_source relationship for an object imply anonymity?
[sean]No. I believe that there is a clear distinction between content with an unknown source and content with an explicitly anonymous source. I believe leaving out both a created_by_ref and has_source relationship for an object should imply “unknown” source whereas “anonymous” source should be explicitly asserted with an “Anonymous” Identity object.

[jordan] I think this is splitting hairs.  I think we can support the use of people using a well known ID that equal anonymous.  But in practice, some organizations will just leave it blank.  I think this is best handled inside of eco-systems.

  • What values should be in the default vocabulary for the Roles property on Has Source relationships?
[sean]I would suggest the following list as a good starting point:
  • Producer
  • Analysis Originator
  • Codification Originator
  • Translator
  • Transformer
  • Anonymized
  • Reviewer
  • Transmitter
  • Derivation Resource

[jordan] Not sure yet...  I would need to look at it a bit more.

  • Should “Has Source” relationship support many-to-one capability to assert lots of STIX content has the same source in an efficient manner? Is the “efficiency” issue necessary to address at this time?
    • Basically this:
      • Relationship
        • ID = id-5
        • From = id-2, id-3, id-4
        • To = id-1
        • Nature = Has Source
    • Versus this:
      • Relationship
        • ID = id-5
        • From = id-2
        • To = id-1
        • Nature = Has Source
      • Relationship
        • ID = id-6
        • From = id-3
        • To = id-1
        • Nature = Has Source
      • Relationship
        • ID = id-7
        • From = id-4
        • To = id-1
        • Nature = Has Source

[sean]No. I do not believe that “efficiency” is a big enough issue for us to consider this in 2.0. It could always be added in future releases.

[jordan] I would have to see this request within context of everything else in an around this to see if adding it now would increase the burden on implementers.