cti message

Subject: Re: Common CybOX Object Refactoring

I’d like us to get to consensus on the Address and File Object refactoring; I’ve highlighted some of the open questions and current consensus below. If there are no additional thoughts/comments by the end of the week, then I’d suggest that consensus has been reached.
  • Address Object
  • File Object
    • Proposal: https://github.com/CybOXProject/schemas/wiki/CybOX-3.0:-File-Object-Refactoring
    • Open questions:
      • Are there any additional properties that belong in the base set of properties or basic set of file system properties?
        • Current consensus: no additional properties have been raised.
      • Which default extensions should be included with the Object?
        • Current proposed list:
          • File Metadata
          • EXT3 File
          • NTFS File
          • Image File (based on existing Image File Object)
          • PDF File (based on existing PDF File Object)
          • Archive File (based on existing Archive File Object)
          • PE Binary File (based on existing Windows Executable File Object)

Regards,
Ivan

From: Ivan Kirillov <ikirillov@mitre.org>
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM
To: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: Common CybOX Object Refactoring

Sending this to the broader CTI list since it’s part of the STIX/CybOX Indicator tranche.

Here’s a summary of the status of the refactoring of the most commonly used CybOX Objects (based on CTI-stats). Please let us know if you don’t agree with the consensus status for Address and File, and also if you have any input on their open questions.
  • Address Object
  • Artifact Object
    • Not discussed yet
    • May require some changes
  • Domain Name
    • Not discussed yet
    • Likely requires very little in the way of changes
  • Email Message
    • Not discussed yet
    • May require some changes; we’re considering creating a base “Message” Object for use in Email Message as well as SMS Message
  • File Object
    • Proposal: https://github.com/CybOXProject/schemas/wiki/CybOX-3.0:-File-Object-Refactoring
    • Consensus largely reached
    • Open questions:
      • Are there any additional properties that belong in the base set of properties or basic set of file system properties?
      • Which default extensions should be included with the Object?
        • Current proposed list:
          • File Metadata
          • EXT3 File
          • NTFS File
          • Image File (based on existing Image File Object)
          • PDF File (based on existing PDF File Object)
          • Archive File (based on existing Archive File Object)
          • PE Binary File (based on existing Windows Executable File Object)
  • Hostname
    • Not discussed yet
    • Likely requires very little in the way of changes
  • HTTP Session
    • Not discussed yet
    • May require some significant refactoring, related to the refactoring of Network Connection
  • Link
    • Not discussed yet
    • Likely requires very little in the way of changes
  • Memory
    • Not discussed yet
    • May require some changes
  • Mutex
    • Not discussed yet
    • Likely requires very little in the way of changes
  • Network Connection
    • Not discussed yet; proposal forthcoming
    • May require significant refactoring
  • PDF File
    • Not discussed yet
    • May require some changes; likely to be included as an extension of the File Object
  • Port
    • Not discussed yet
    • Likely requires very little in the way of changes
  • URI
    • Not discussed yet
    • Likely requires very little in the way of changes
  • WhoIS
    • Not discussed yet
    • May require some changes
  • Windows Executable File
  • Windows Registry Key
    • Not discussed yet
    • Likely requires very little in the way of changes
Accordingly, I would propose grouping and timeboxing the refactoring discussions as such:
  • Network Object Refactoring – Network Connection and HTTP Session
    • 2 weeks
  • Messaging Object Refactoring – Email Message and SMS Message
    • 1 week
  • Other Atomic Network Object Refactoring – Domain Name, Hostname, Port, URI, and Link
    • 1 week
  • Host Object Refactoring – Windows Executable File, Windows Registry Key, PDF File, and Mutex
    • 1 week
  • Other Object Refactoring – WhoIS and Artifact
    • 1 week
Regards,
Ivan