cti message

Subject: RE: Common CybOX Object Refactoring

Hi Ivan,

>I do think that we need a way of tracking the Assigned IPv4 and IPv6 addresses compared to AS number as well, such as assigned by Regional Internet Registries (https://www.apnic.net/publications/research-and-insights/by-rir).

I’m not sure if I’m understanding this correctly; are you suggesting that we add the ability to associate an IPv4/IPv6 address with its assigning RIR?

It’s more mapping the assigned IPv4/IPv6 ranges assigned to the Organization. So its about the RIR WHOIS data: https://dig.whois.com.au/ip/8.8.8.8

You can often use this information when looking at malicious websites to determine that whole IP ranges are bad, and used to host only malicious content. You can also use it to identify extra threat intel to help see the same TTPs based on what hosting providers they use and how they structure their operations:

# start

NetRange:       8.0.0.0 - 8.255.255.255

CIDR:           8.0.0.0/8

NetName:        LVLT-ORG-8-8

NetHandle:      NET-8-0-0-0-1

Parent:          ()

NetType:        Direct Allocation

OriginAS:

RegDate:        1992-12-01

Updated:        2012-02-24

Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-8-0-0-0-1

OrgName:        Level 3 Communications, Inc.

OrgId:          LVLT

Address:        1025 Eldorado Blvd.

City:           Broomfield

StateProv:      CO

PostalCode:     80021

Country:        US

RegDate:        1998-05-22

Updated:        2012-01-30

Comment:        ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/LVLT

OrgTechHandle: IPADD5-ARIN

OrgTechName:   ipaddressing

OrgTechPhone:  +1-877-453-8353

OrgTechEmail:  ipaddressing@level3.com

OrgTechRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/IPADD5-ARIN

OrgAbuseHandle: APL8-ARIN

OrgAbuseName:   Abuse POC LVLT

OrgAbusePhone:  +1-877-453-8353

OrgAbuseEmail:  abuse@level3.com

OrgAbuseRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/APL8-ARIN

OrgNOCHandle: NOCSU27-ARIN

OrgNOCName:   NOC Support

OrgNOCPhone:  +1-877-453-8353

OrgNOCEmail:  noc.coreip@level3.com

OrgNOCRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/NOCSU27-ARIN

# end

# start

NetRange:       8.8.8.0 - 8.8.8.255

CIDR:           8.8.8.0/24

NetName:        LVLT-GOGL-8-8-8

NetHandle:      NET-8-8-8-0-1

Parent:         LVLT-ORG-8-8 (NET-8-0-0-0-1)

NetType:        Reallocated

OriginAS:

RegDate:        2014-03-14

Updated:        2014-03-14

Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-8-8-8-0-1

OrgName:        Google Inc.

OrgId:          GOGL

Address:        1600 Amphitheatre Parkway

City:           Mountain View

StateProv:      CA

PostalCode:     94043

Country:        US

RegDate:        2000-03-30

Updated:        2015-11-06

Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/GOGL

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE5250-ARIN

OrgAbuseName:   Abuse

OrgAbusePhone:  +1-650-253-0000

OrgAbuseEmail:  network-abuse@google.com

OrgAbuseRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ABUSE5250-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: ZG39-ARIN

OrgTechName:   Google Inc

OrgTechPhone:  +1-650-253-0000

OrgTechEmail:  arin-contact@google.com

OrgTechRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ZG39-ARIN

# end

So being able to track the IP address ranges and the organizations (Identity) that the IP address ranges are assigned to will help when trying to determine if a particular IP is malicious.

Another example. 1.1.1.1 is malicious. You see 1.1.1.2 and you are unsure. You look at your threat intel, and the 1.1.1.5 and 1.1.1.6 are also shown as malicious. You look at the IP WHOIS and work out that the 1.1.1/24 appears to have been involved in many attacks over the last few years.  So you then know that you need to check 1.1.1.2 way more closely as it is way more likely to be malicious.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald

Senior STIX Subject Matter Expert

SOLTRA | An FS-ISAC and DTCC Company