cti message

Subject: Re: Use case for data markings

Terry, I am confused on how this seems cyclical to you. Maybe I am missing something as it seems relatively straightforward to me.
Let me take a stab at describing a fictitious but realistic scenario that illustrates how this could be used in a relatively simple way.

Lets say that I am part of a small sharing community of 5 orgs that I share CTI with. I am part of numerous other communities as well but this small community is one of them.
Lets say that part of the context scoping this small community is the fact that we all have access to a particular tool or service that lets us do something with CTI but the existence of that tool/service is only known to the members of this small community and not to others.
I may want to share CTI to this small community of players some of which has “action” markings saying DO NOT run this CTI in the aforementioned sensitive tool/service. This marking is very useful to tell members of this community what they are allowed to do with the CTI.
Now the CTI itself may not necessarily be overly sensitive and may be marked with dissemination markings that allow members of this small community to reshare it with other communities they are part of.
The existence of the aforementioned tool/service is still sensitive however so I will want to apply more restrictive dissemination markings on the “action” markings themselves than may exist on the other STIX content saying to strip off the “action” markings when the content is reshared outside the group.

All of this can be done very simply using our current approach where marking-definition is a normal TLO. It would not require any special or different data marking formats and is not recursive or cyclical in any way.

Package {
marking_refs = [marking3] //marks content of package as shareable to Tier2 communities
Marking-definition {
id=marking1
marking_refs = [marking2] //overrides package level dissemination marking and restricts this marking to Fight Club only
Action = "" not run on SuperFoo tool
}
Marking-definition {
id=marking2
Dissemination = Share with Fight Club Only
}
Marking-definition {
id=marking3
Dissemination = Share with Tier2 communities
}
Indicator { //applicable dissemination marking is marking3 by default
id=ind1
}
Indicator {
id=ind2
marking_refs = [marking1] //action marking is marking 1; applicable dissemination marking is still the default marking3
}
… STIX content …
}

If this content was shared within Fight Club it would look like the above.
If it was shared outside Fight Club within Tier2 communities it would look like:

Package {
marking_refs = [marking3] //marks content of package as shareable to Tier2 communities
Marking-definition2 { //this could also be simply left out as there are no marking_refs present referencing this marking-definition
id=marking2
Dissemination = Share with Fight Club Only
}
Marking-definition3 {
id=marking3
Dissemination = Share with Tier2 communities
}
Indicator { //applicable dissemination marking is marking3
id=ind1
}
Indicator {
id=ind2
marking_refs = [marking1] //action marking is marking 1; applicable dissemination marking is still the default marking3
}
… STIX content …
}

This involves an inherent presumption that orphaned marking_refs for marking-definitions that are not present are ignored.

Does this make sense?

Can you help me understand where you see the issue with this?
Are you talking about the possibility that marking2 in the example could also be marked with a self-referential marking_ref to ensure it is not shared beyond Fight Club?
I did not do that in the example but I don’t really see a problem with that either. It is self-referential but not recursive or cyclical.

Again, maybe I am misinterpreting the point you are making. If so, I apologize and hope to get a better understanding.

sean