cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] CybOX Datatype Refactoring/Deprecation

It seems to me there is a rough concensus that we *should not* be supporting the de-fanging of data within STIX, with several people bringing up many strong arguments for why it is a bad idea to transmit on the wire and/or store data in a de-fanged fashion.

At a minimum, it seems to me that there is certainly a rough concensus that the supporting of de-fanging of data within STIX is not an MVP requirement.

Any chance we can proceed with this concensus, table this issue until after the release, where it can be raised again if it is later found to be a requirement? Anyone opposed to that?

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Joep Gommers ---03/03/2016 05:05:26 AM---To support this statement based on our implementation of exaJoep Gommers ---03/03/2016 05:05:26 AM---To support this statement based on our implementation of exactly this; At rest any information is st

From: Joep Gommers <joep@eclecticiq.com>
To: Chris Ricard <cricard@fsisac.us>, Mark Clancy <mclancy@soltra.com>, "'cti@lists.oasis-open.org'" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 03/03/2016 05:05 AM
Sent by: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

To support this statement based on our implementation of exactly this;

At rest any information is stored as close to its original as possible. Defanging information is fanged back to ensure the ability to correlate, compare, cluster, etc. Depending on the use-case of the information, information is defanged on consumption by humans or when presenting on systems (e.g. a browser app for example) that could potentially generate action outside of the users control. E.g. Our UI ensures that things are defanged.

E.g. When exported:

E.g when you need to be able to compare mentally

e.g when you risk clicking it: