cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] CybOX Datatype Refactoring/Deprecation

Let's move on.

Patrick Maroney
Email: pmaroney@specere.org
Cell: (609)841-5104

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM -0800, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com> wrote:

And from our "real world" example, since about 2001-ish we have been passing and collecting an enormous amount of threat intel objects on a daily basis from sites all over the planet and we have never had a problem. We do this at scale, and are not seeing an issue.

This is not a specification level item.  This is an implementation / deployment / process level issue.   Any vendor or user organization that wants to do this, can do so in a product (if the product UI allows them).  This is exactly why we called out support for the "x_" prefix.

Thanks,

Bret

Bret Jordan CISSP
Blue Coat Systems

On Mar 4, 2016, at 18:22, Crawford, David <David.Crawford@aetna.com> wrote:

I will also provide my “real world” examples of dealing with various intelligence feeds over the wire since about 2009 (I lead the Threat Intel group at my organization) and have never experienced a negative outcome due to unadulterated indicators. We are an SSL inspection environment, monitor on every ingress/egress point at all levels of the stack, and I’m pulling from a number of commercial and open source providers. It is simple to disable SSL inspection on the network feeds from the defined sources to avoid the false positives.

The STIX standard should only address how the data will be represented, not how it will be transported, presented to the user, etc etc.

From: Patrick Maroney [mailto:Pmaroney@Specere.org]
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2016 8:09 PM
To: Terry MacDonald; Bret Jordan
Cc: cti@lists.oasis-open.org; Crawford, David; Jason Keirstead; Foley, Alexander - GIS

I'm not going to beat this one to death, but need to highlight that I provided a half dozen "real world" examples where passing "Truth on the Wire" resulted in very very negative outcomes.  One scenario could have easily resulted in $Millions of mitigation costs.  Admittedly none of these scenarios were based on STIX as very little security/network infrastructure actually supports same operationally today.  However, the core root causes leading to significantly undesirable outcomes *will be identical* as we pass these same clear text IOCs embedded in STIX Packages.

I don't want to draft a treatise on the issues of architecting, deploying, and managing large scale mesh VPN/GRE/etc networks.  Suffice it to say this sounds good as a philosophical concept but fails in large scale complex networks, especially those that intend to integrate CTI capabilities in as many devices/systems

In my view it is trivial to base64 encode/decode the STIX packages as they are serialized/deserialized.

Please note that I'm a staunch supporter of passing the "Truth on the Wire".  So this is really a separate argument  from the defanging discussion.  It is however, in my view, a direct secondary issue from a presumed decision to require/pass "Fanged" content.

This will be my last attempt to provide the use cases and basis for the proposed method of minimizing impacts of handling "Live Ammo".

Patrick Maroney
President
Integrated Networking Technologies, Inc.
Desk: (856)983-0001
Cell: (609)841-5104
Email: pmaroney@specere.org