cti message

Subject: RE: [cti] RE: Versioning Background Docs

Hi All,

Jeff and I spoke offline and we are in agreement with the hash based approach. Some takeaways:
- cleared up "shallowness" of shallow objects
- conveyed the idea of relationships which contain arrays of ids (he calls them link aggregators)

As we finalize objects across the TC we can go into object-specific required fields. Ex: should every Indicator have an observable?

Keep up the feedback.

-Marlon

From: Mates, Jeffrey CIV DC3/DCCI
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 9:37:13 AM
To: Taylor, Marlon; cti@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: marlon.taylor@us-cert.gov

I generally like the idea of using a hash based approach, and helped
implement GUIDs using the UUID v5 spec internally based on this model for
STIX 1.1.1.  However I do not think that they will work as expected in STIX
2.

This is because low density STIX objects can cause this model to break.  We
worked through this internally in STIX 1.1.1 by tracing any idref and nested
elements and working through their hashes, but in STIX 2.0 links are now
external elements with their own IDs, so this is no longer an option.

For example it is possible for an indicator object in STIX 1.1.1 to have no
properties of its own except for its ID.  As such the hash for all shallow
indicator objects will ultimately be the same and this will result in a
massive collision.  The same is true for any other link aggregator object.

The effect of this could be mitigated by forcing description fields to be
filled in for STIX 2.0 objects, but if this is filled with random content
then you will end up removing the ability for the GUID to be used for
deduplication purposes.  Likewise if this is filled with human generated
content then unintentional collusions will still occur.

Jeffrey Mates, Civ DC3/DCCI
Computer Scientist
Defense Cyber Crime Institute
jeffrey.mates@dc3.mil