cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Some additional thoughts on combining STIX and CybOX

"[...] essentially a threat: “if the CTI TC does not meet the demands of DFAX then DFAX will stop using CybOX”. Quite frankly, I don’t think our choices should be held hostage by a nebulous downstream “community" [...]"

I support Mark here 100%, while we should listen to others, our first responsible is our community...

(my opinion, not my company's) I personal subscribe to the 80/20 rule, we should focus the most active 80%. We will burn ourselves out trying to make the last 20% happy...

Michael Pepin
Product Engineer
SOLTRA | An FS-ISAC & DTCC Company
michael@soltra.com

www.soltra.com

From: cti@lists.oasis-open.org <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Mark Davidson <mdavidson@soltra.com>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 1:35 PM
To: Jordan, Bret; Casey, Eoghan CIV DC3/DCCI
Cc: Wunder, John A.; cti@lists.oasis-open.org

I would also like to see a response to Bret’s request. I have called out the same question in my CTI Common ballot comment and it has gone unanswered so far. From my internet searches, it would appear that Eoghan and Sean are among the DFAX leads [1][2][3]. Surely you would be the ones best able to articulate and provide evidence for the claims you are making?

Personally, my opinion about document organization is going to be most impacted by a clear articulation of technical facts. What I’ve seen so far is essentially a threat: “if the CTI TC does not meet the demands of DFAX then DFAX will stop using CybOX”. Quite frankly, I don’t think our choices should be held hostage by a nebulous downstream “community" whose arguments have so far been hand-wave requirements.

To the DFAX community: The CTI TC has been very patient and willing to hear your arguments. Instead of articulating them, you have threatened to break off. I am sorry it is coming to this, but I would like to issue a challenge: please clearly articulate your technical requirements or withdraw them as requirements. This topic has circulated on the list long enough when we should be spending time making progress on STIX, TAXII, and CybOX.

Thank you.
-Mark

[3] https://github.com/DFAX/dfax (Last update: August 2015)