cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Question Gathering: Relationship Preservation in Versioning (Implicit vs Explicit)

I agree... You are right on track with our views and what our customers tell us they want.

Thanks,

Bret

Bret Jordan CISSP
Blue Coat Systems

On Mar 21, 2016, at 09:40, Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

Thanks Sarah - this is precisely my thinking so I am glad I am not crazy :)

To copy/paste/revise something I sent in a Slack earlier today...

To me, you have to go back to the use cases. If I am an analyst, and I have built up a bunch of stuff around some intelligence using Maltego or I2 or whatever… when someone pushes an update, do I expect it to cascade through my model I have spent a week building? Or do I expect to have to go and manually  update eveything? If it was ME, I would want the cascade. And its the same flow for automated tools as well… I set up a rule in a SIEM around STIX.. do I expect that rule to be dynamically updated with new versions? You betcha... If I have a daily report or dashboard running on a campaign, every day I run that report, I want it to show the latest information. I dont want it to be static, showing the same thing day in and day out. The same is true if I have something referencing a watch list, or something referencing a set of TTP.

When I look at the actual use cases for intel.. I think people will usually want the latest. I am at a bit of a loss why everyone assumes that people will essentially want “stale” info by default.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

<graycol.gif>Sarah Kelley ---03/21/2016 12:24:44 PM---I would argue that even as the producer I don’t want to have to update every relationship every time