cti message

Subject: RE: [cti] Question Gathering: Relationship Preservation in Versioning (Implicit vs Explicit)

Lets put it this way. In addition to your core principles outlined earlier I would like to propose a fourth ( #4 below )

1. You must be able to determine an object’s version
2. Versions are immutable
3. You must be able to determine ordinality among versions

Features
:

4. Anyone (not just the producer) must be able to define a relationship that will *always* reference the most up-to-date version of all other objects referenced in the relationship

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Taylor, Marlon" ---03/21/2016 03:49:47 PM---Hi All, This is great discussion!"Taylor, Marlon" ---03/21/2016 03:49:47 PM---Hi All, This is great discussion!

From: "Taylor, Marlon" <Marlon.Taylor@hq.dhs.gov>
To: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>, "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 03/21/2016 03:49 PM
Sent by: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi All,

This is great discussion!

I realized that my original question lead to an implementation response(not my intent) but as @Trey said implicit-vs-explicit may not necessarily be a boolean question. In order for the community to make a well informed stance on the matter we'll need to go through both sides.

This can lead into scope creep and vast changes across the CTI domain so I would like to go into each approach so we can see what we're getting into without diving into implementation first. That's how we discussed and came up with the principles. At some point implementations will get involved but I hope going through a "generics" approach we'll be able to identify what we what and possibly rule out some approaches without diving into them directly.

Talking about of these items in a generics approach will definitely be a great idea to understand the underlying desires of members within the community. From previous experience, I don't find the timeframe or structure of our weekly meetings as a good means to solve this concern(for the versioning meeting we meet for 2, we concluded before that, outside of the regular meetings).

But I'm open to any means we can work together to solving these issues and providing all the findings to the TC to make a decision.

-Marlon