cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] RFI & Motion: JSON MTI & JSON Schemas

Aharon,

Many thanks for responding.  I'm not advocating "Focus" on the actual schema implementations.  Intent and requested outcomes are:

(1) Formally establish consensus that JSON Schemas are "Must" deliverables as outlined in the Motion. (I think all we need is for someone to formally second the motion.  Rich can call for objections, and presuming none, we can quickly pass as a resolution.

(2) Estimated target dates for delivery of initial draft JSON schemas by each SC.

(3) Add these schemas as specific deliverables to the STIX and CybOX Road Maps and update going forward as these plans evolve.

Patrick Maroney
President
Integrated Networking Technologies, Inc.
Desk: (856)983-0001
Cell: (609)841-5104
Email: pmaroney@specere.org

_____________________________
From: Aharon Chernin <achernin@soltra.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 9:35 AM
To: Patrick Maroney <pmaroney@specere.org>, OASIS CTI TC Discussion List <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

Pat,

In my opinion, STIX 2 and CybOX 2 are in too much flux to focus on their schema implementations. However, I would always encourage the community to work on schemas implementations early in the process if the would like to donate the man hours to the group.

More points towards our lack of focus on schema representation at this point:
*) We have not reached consensus on the definition of what an “observation” is, and several other frequently used high level objects, in STIX 2. An email went out from John Wunder on Thursday to the STIX TC asking for comments on both the definition of a few of the STIX high level objects and how they work together in the STIX 2 pre-draft specs. The response to this would be a good gauge to our closeness on consensus.
*) A word of caution. STIX TC members wishing to invest the hours to build JSON schema implementations at this time risk large changes in the spec until we reach pre-draft consensus.
*) I think the community is in alignment that a JSON schema should be made based on the agreed STIX 2 specification. I also think it is acceptable to get JSON schema availability timing based on STIX 2 draft specifications when they are available.

Aharon