cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] i18n (RE: MVP Discussion)

The text ID is not referring to the field. It is referring to a piece of text that has been translated.

Example - say I publish an observable with a title "Dridex". That is a pretty common name and is likely to be used all over the place, with many instances of observables and sightings. You don't want to have to re-translate that over and over and over for each one. You want one translation, and for that to be able to be used everywhere that text occurs.

This is the exact same way that translation works for most all programming languages. You translate a piece of text, then forevermore you can refer to that text by an ID, in many different contexts.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Mark Davidson ---04/18/2016 08:19:48 AM---I’m trying to catch up to the thread – please accept my aMark Davidson ---04/18/2016 08:19:48 AM---I’m trying to catch up to the thread – please accept my apologies if my thoughts/questions are under

From: Mark Davidson <mdavidson@soltra.com>
To: "Masuoka, Ryusuke" <masuoka.ryusuke@jp.fujitsu.com>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@newcontext.com>
Cc: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA, "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 04/18/2016 08:19 AM
Sent by: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

I’m trying to catch up to the thread – please accept my apologies if my thoughts/questions are under-informed.

How does the text_id help? The field is already uniquely identified by it’s location in the representation (I.e., indicator=2222.title). If I wanted to add a title, I’d insert a new key into the Title object/dictionary. Updates would be handled the same way.

To me, a reasonably minimal way of going about language on each field would be a structure like this:

“field-name”: {“lang-id”: “text”, “lang-id2”: “texto”}

However, in my mind, having the lang as a root attribute (and nowhere else) seems to be the simplest solution so I’d like to prod a little in that direction.

I’d like to ask about:
> For example, the titles are given in EN, but the descriptions are given in JP for CTI from a Japanese CTI provider.

Why is this the case? If it’s that the english title is suitable for the Japanese translation, then I’d say “lang=jp” is suitable for the whole object, even though not all text fields necessarily have a “lang=jp” entry.

I guess I’d be OK with a top level lang field AND a dictionary of “language-id”:”text” for each text field. It feels like it’s roughly the simplest mechanism for achieving i18n. I think that would handle revisions and updates fairly seamlessly also – a translation provider could send back an update to the content owner with the new languages for particular field(s).

Thank you.
-Mark