cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] i18n (RE: MVP Discussion) - An Updated Proposal

On 25/04/16 17:17, Jordan, Bret wrote:
> So the bridge we need to decide if we need and want to cross is, should we allow mixed language content in a single STIX object.?

We haven't followed all the discussions about the mixed language content in STIX objects but we had some discussions
at implementation level. Increasing the complexity of the STIX object with the translation might not be the
most appealing aspect for developers who want to implement the standard... but why not using a gettext PO[1] approach?
Where the key is the original string and the value the translated part like this:

{
  "translation": [
    {
      "fr": {
        "Dridex malicious payload": "Dridex charge utile malveillante"
      },
      "ne": {
        "Dridex malicious payload": "Dridex खराब पेलोड"
      }
    }
  ],
  "id": "package--44af6c39-c09b-49c5-9de2-394224b04982",
  "lang": "en",
  "type": "package"
}

This would separate the parsing requirement for the implementations not supporting the translation to simply discard the parsing requirement
while keeping a certain flexibility in the translation usage. Like showing the translation if the user preference is set
to 'fr' with a fall-back to the original one.

The translation can be applied to any of the value encounters in a package including any specific value like tagging, description or alike.

We are evaluating this option for the new MISP galaxies representation.

Just an idea.

Cheers.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/PO-Files.html

--
Alexandre Dulaunoy
CIRCL - Computer Incident Response Center Luxembourg