cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Definitions for Campaigns, Intrusion Sets and Threat Actors

Gary,

A couple questions/comments:

The campaign definition is dependent on the term incident. Is it necessary for an incident (which would not need to be represented in STIX or shared) to have occurred in order for there to be a campaign? I had always thought of Campaigns as “related activity performed by one or more threat actors/groups”, but I’m not a threat analyst (and never have been). Does my definition align/overlap with yours, or are there key differences?

I’m still fuzzy on Intrusion Set. Is intrusion set effectively an “unknown” Threat Actor? Intrusion Set and Campaign share a lot of the same concepts (e.g., both relater a set of incidents, indicators, tools, infrastructure or TTPs). And I think a lot of the Intrusion Set sentences make sense if you swap in “Campaign” for “Intrusion Set”. For instance:

Threat actors could move from supporting one Intrusion Set Campaign, to supporting another, or they may support multiple Intrusion Set Campaigns.  A Intrusion Set Campaign is usually tracked over a long period of time.  While sometime a Intrusion Set Campaign goes silent, or changes focus, it is usually difficult to know if it has truly disappeared or ended.  Analysts may have varying level of fidelity on attributing a Intrusion Set Campaign back to Threat Actors.

My apologies if I missed a key point in all of this – I’m trying to better my understanding.

Thank you.

-Mark

P.S. Pats will beat the Jets 4 Christmas J