cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] CTI Brussels F2F Meeting...RSVP deadline 5 September

Please say that we are including confidence and opinion object in STIX 2.1 candidate smackdown agenda item at the F2F.

We just can't treat everything that people send out as the absolute truth as we do in STIX 2.0. There is a reason things like the admiralty code were developed.... and that's because threat intelligence is always someone's opinion.We need a way for the consumer to understand how confident the producer is in the threat intelligence they are sending. It's up to the consumer to determine if they believe that its the truth, and they need various ways to determine this. That's a ton easier if the person who sent the threat intelligence to you tells you how much they trust the intelligence and trust the source of the intelligence with some form of confidence field.....

I really, really believe this is critical for STIX to work properly, and it was something that made it possible for STIX to automatically be pushed out to the different security tools within an organization (e.g. high confidence DNS to the DNS RPZ block, low confidence to the alerting on the passive DNS).

These are so easy to add to STIX, we would be remiss to skip it.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald | Chief Product Officer