cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Status of CTI OASIS Open Repositories

RE "I don't quite understand your meaning here:

"... so the public is basically only able to contribute to things that already exist, not contribute anything new (unless they proxy through a member)""

It is basically tied back to the need, currently, to be a TC member and make a motion if you want to make a new repository, combined with these repositories being tied to very specific projects and not having a generic top-level repository.

Imagine a non-TC member has some brand new code they want to contribute, but it does not fall into any of these existing open repository categories, and we have no "generic" type of repository. They can not make a new repository, or even motion to make one, as they are not a TC member. They're stuck. The only way they could donate this code, would be to try to proxy through another TC member to get the repository created for them to commit it to. I strongly suspect that instead of that hassle they would just put it up on their own Github.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Robin Cover ---09/29/2016 09:28:30 AM---On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 7:02 AM, Jason Keirstead <Jason.KeirsRobin Cover ---09/29/2016 09:28:30 AM---On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 7:02 AM, Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com > wrote:

From: Robin Cover <robin@oasis-open.org>
To: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA
Cc: "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>, "Back, Greg" <gback@mitre.org>, OASIS CTI TC Discussion List <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>, Robin Cover <robin@oasis-open.org>
Date: 09/29/2016 09:28 AM
Sent by: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 7:02 AM, Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
Jason, I'll raise the matter of requiring a motion/ballot with Staff.  We probably want some kind of confirmation from the TC Chairs(s) -- indicating that there was consensus on the key elements of the request (name, Maintainers, choice of FOSS license, etc)

Re:
> a whole bunch of various code contributions from vendors, members and hopefully non-members alike

That sounds great, and OASIS Open Repositories are intended to support that.   It's a TC decision whether you want more or fewer repositories. It's a TC decision as to whether the repos are described as "generic" or having closely defined focus.

I don't quite understand your meaning here:

"... so the public is basically only able to contribute to things that already exist, not contribute anything new (unless they proxy through a member)"

For the OASIS Open Repositories, once the repo is created, anyone from "the public" (non-TC member) can be a full participant, including Maintainer, per consensus.  They can contribute "new things" in the same way as anyone can contribute new things to any GitHub public repository.  Perhaps I misunderstand your concern....

I have assumed, maybe incorrectly, that your mention of a new repository (additional to those reported by Greg Back [1]) meant you want a new OASIS Open Repository ( https://www.oasis-open.org/resources/open-repositories )

- Robin

[1]

cti-stix2-json-schemas
cti-pattern-validator