cti message

Subject: Git Submodules (was: RE: [cti] Status of CTI OASIS Open Repositories)

In my experience, Git submodules introduce a lot of confusion for people, and don't solve the "collection of disparate tools" problem very well. In contrast to Subversion, Git doesn't let you clone one part of a repo, but submodules aren't a great solution to that problem either. From what I've seen, submodules are best when one project A depends on a specific state of another project B, when it isn't easy to package up B, or you want to re-use B in multiple places For example.

* the STIX 1.2 schemas include CybOX 2.1 as a submodule.
* the CybOX Patterning Grammar could be split into its own repo, and the pattern validator could incorporate that as a submodule. You could also re-use the grammar in non-Python applications via this submodule. (note that this isn't currently the state of thing in the CTI OASIS Open repos).

If you wanted to re-use the pattern-validator in another project, it would make more sense to distribute the pattern-validator as a Python package than use a submodule. Not to keep bringing up pre-OASIS STIX/CybOX examples, but this is the approach used for "mixbox" in python-stix, python-cybox, and python-maec.

Greg