cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Status of CTI OASIS Open Repositories

I think having one global org for every TC is a negative for usability and will decrease the quality of the interaction our TC has with the outside world.

A semi-technical (or technical) non-TC member who is trying to learn more about STIX and TAXII will not, at first, be guaranteed to understand what OASIS is or understand OASIS’ role in the development and governance of STIX and TAXII. Requiring knowledge about OASIS and its relationship to STIX/TAXII – i.e., understanding that https://github.com/oasis-open/ is where you find STIX and TAXII open source repositories (or further, that they have a CTI prefix) – is just not going to happen for the majority of people.

We should be making the work produced by this TC as accessible as possible to the people outside this TC. We are not doing this work only for ourselves. I think we’ve demonstrated this already with the CybOX merger into STIX, so let’s keep going. FWIW, I agree with previous posts stating that the two approaches are roughly equivalent for TC members. I just think we need to focus on the external/outsider persona – they are the ones who need the most help consuming and understanding the work we are producing, and we should make it as easy as possible for them.

Thank you.

-Mark

From: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Bret Jordan (CS)" <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>
Date: Monday, October 10, 2016 at 7:37 PM
To: Greg Back <gback@mitre.org>
Cc: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

The chartered work repos have one primary purpose for us, and that is issue tracking against the published specifications.  We may use them for wikis or other things over time, but for the foreseeable future they will be used for issue tracking.

Bret

Sent from my Commodore 64

PGP Fingerprint: 63B4 FC53 680A 6B7D 1447  F2C0 74F8 ACAE 7415 0050