cti message

Subject: Patterning Feedback -Timescales/Periodicity

Re: It is really critical that we get more technical review of this 'Patterning' approach before moving to a Committee Specification Draft (CSD)

“Our CTI lexicon MUST allow representation of events at the timescales/periodicity of the operational domain we (and our machines) are observing, measuring, and conveying to others.”

This is particularly true of a CTI patterning language specifically tasked with describing and detecting temporal event relationships.

A sampling of citations:

10 Gigabit Ethernet Transmissions Technologies

Joe Lutz: Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

http://www.sonet.com/EDU/10ge.pdf

C5: Cross-Cores Cache Covert Channel

Cl´ementine Maurice , Christoph Neumann , Olivier Heen , and Aur´elien Francillon

http://www.s3.eurecom.fr/docs/dimva15_clementine.pdf

Cache Storage Attacks

Billy Bob Brumley

http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9783319167145-c2.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1496482-p177303495

Eliminating Cache-Based Timing Attacks with Instruction-Based Scheduling

Deian Stefan, Pablo Buiras , Edward Z. Yang , Amit Levy , David Terei , Alejandro Russo , and David Mazières

https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~dstefan/pubs/stefan:2013:eliminating.pdf

Understanding Contention-Based Channels and Using Them for Defense

Casen Hunger, Mikhail Kazdagli, Ankit Rawat, Alex Dimakis, Sriram Vishwanath, Mohit Tiwari The University of Texas at Austin

http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~tiwari/pubs/HPCA-15-contention.pdf

Respectfully request that we add the following 3 words to the specification for those who need to express these periodicities:

PICOSECONDS

NANOSECONDS

MICROSECONDS

a WITHIN x MILLISECONDS | SECONDS | MINUTES | HOURS | DAYS | MONTHS | YEARS

a MUST be an Observation _expression_ or a preceding Qualifier. All Observations that match a MUST occur, or have been observed, within the specified time window.

If there is a set of two or more Observations matched by a, the most recent Observation timestamp contained within that set MUST NOT be later than the delta of the earliest Observation timestamp within the set plus the specified time window.

Example:

([file:hash.SHA-256 = '13987239847'] ALONGWITH [win-registry-key.key = 'hkey']) WITHIN 2 MINUTES

The above Pattern _expression_ looks for a filehash and a registry key that were observed within 2 minutes of each other. The parentheses are needed to apply the WITHIN Qualifier to both Observation Expressions.

Patrick Maroney

Office:  (856)983-0001

Cell:      (609)841-5104

President

Integrated Networking Technologies, Inc.

PO Box 569

Marlton, NJ 08053